Before I can get the rocker in it’s final place I had to replace the front pillar. This was a little intimidating because If the pillar is not placed on right then the door is guaranteed not to fit or function properly. Previously I measured the distance from center hole to center hole and demarked it using painters tape. I placed the new pillar over the existing pillar and marked the existing pillar. Then I cut off the old pillar about half an inch below that line. This meant I was going to have to trim the new pillar to fit correctly in place.
When the old pillar is cut of it has the door mount still attached.
After I got it removed I was able to weld it back onto the new pillar. This was actually slightly tricky. I had to make sure the bolt holes centered up to the holes that were in the new pillar.
After some effort though I got it to match just perfectly.
I then measured from center line to the edge of where I cut it off. I took the difference from hat measurement to figure out how much I needed to cut off the new pillar. I carefully measured, marked and cut away the excess material. I actually made several passes just to make sure I did not cut off too much.
Once I got the part cut just right I clamped it in place and carefully aligned it so that it matched the existing contour of the pillar. I measured the center hole to center hole to make sure that it was in as exactly the right place as possible.
I tacked welded the pillar in place in preparation for checking that the door will work correctly before I finish welding it in place. That will be for another day